Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fulfilling Dreams

Dreams are made by our own imagination or our own desire. Over the years, i did achieve quiet a number of things that i wanted to but also failed in a lot of other things. When you dream, you tend to think that most of the things that we want from life are achievable. Might not be true, life might take a turn for better or might be for worse. I am not trying to be negative in this post, but just penning down a reality i have learnt.  

When i was young, i had a dream. I wanted to be a pilot, like most of the other young kids. But did i achieve that? Not really. The time i graduated from high school, it was the 9/11 era, where planes were not flying, pilots were being laid off, airline companies were closing or facing bankruptcy  During that time, I had a counselor who advised me to first get a degree and then apply for a PPL or CPL (private pilot's license or commercial pilot's license). I got thinking why, and he clearly explained that the retirement age for pilots is quiet early. Once i'm out of flying then i would not have anything to do. Little did i know that she might have been trying to deter me from becoming a pilot.

Then came the phase of me wanting to become a financial consultant, and there started my journey in the business school of Penn State. I was enjoying the journey, until i decided to take a job as a food server in the Penn State Commons, just to make some extra bucks. I was thrilled with the idea of working in food service. I was thrilled that a few months from starting work, voila i was a Student Supervisor. I loved every moment of it. Loved interacting with customers. There i took a plunge. I changed my major to Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management. 

The journey ended with me having to leave the US to come back to Dubai. I still think that if i had continued in finance i would have been able to find a job in the US, and i wouldn't have been writing blogs, like i do so well. So there, but not that i regret any of it. Moving on, I found a job with the WAFI group and well spent a good 4 years with them, again enjoying every moment of it. Made great friends along the way, both in college and in my first job in Dubai. I was changing, so was my life. All of a sudden it hit me, well next up, need to find something more stable. 

Why did i narrate my life story? Well here is the point - dreams change. Some dreams that are unreachable or seem unteachable take a back seat, and we tend to make new dreams for ourselves. We adjust. And every human in every phase of life adjusts himself to the changing reality. We also make these assumptions that if i can't get this i will not do anything else. As you grow up, the reality hits you, and you are forced to change your aspirations. 

There is no one to stop us from meeting our aspirations in the new field. It might be boring as hell, but you will or you should find a way to achieve them. I have successfully turned this post into a lecture on how to think positive. And before i go more into it, i will stop right here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment